Thursday, July 24, 2008

Adjusting

Sorry it's been a few days since we've blogged. We don't yet have internet hooked up in our home, so we have to pay for it in the library and, though it's only a very short walk, it's not quite as convenient.

This past week has been less a week of ministry and more a week of adjusting to our new surroundings. We got our bicycles (our primary mode of transportation for the year) and the kids really enjoy riding on the backs of them all over town. Kaylie has her own bike, but she's not yet ready for long trips (or riding next to the canals) but she'll get there soon. She has received numerous scrapes and bruises in practicing, and she's getting pretty good, but she hasn't yet learned to start and stop on her own.

We're all working on our Dutch, and it won't be long before the kids know more than we do. Keiric even cried out "Alsjeblieft" (the Dutch word for 'please') in his sleep last night.

We went to church this past Sunday and met the new pastor. It was a fun to sing the worship songs in Dutch and try to figure out what we were saying. I'm glad God understood it anyhow. Fortunately, although the service was in Dutch, we were given headsets through which an interpreter explained what was going on. We're hoping not to need an interpreter for very long, but for now it is greatly appreciated.

The cell group met at our house this past Tuesday night. At our Bible studies in Arizona we usually have snacks of chips and soda - here we had tea and cookies. We had a very interesting discussion about Bible versions. It seems that there's more than one Dutch version too.

Please pray for us as our ministry begins in the next few days. I am meeting tomorrow morning with one of the men whom I will be tutoring, and I need prayer that I can diagnose his areas of weakness and be able to help him. Also, please pray for Heather as she attempts to re-establish relationships from past visits to Holland.

Thank you, again, for all of your prayers and support. We miss you already.

Jeremy and Family

3 comments:

Joy said...

Totally praying for you guys! It's awesome to hear what's going on and I'm so excited to hear about the Dutch! I think it's so funny that Keiric is now talking Dutch in his sleep...man I miss those kids...Sending Love and prayers!!!

Kaitlyn said...

Ok, so I have a feeling all of my comments are going to be pretty long from here on out since I'm used to speaking with you on a regular basis and now I can't. I am glad to hear you guys are adjusting well. It's awesome to hear the kids are picking up the language quickly, but so odd at the same time to think that when you come back Keiric may not speak English to us. I will definately be praying for you, Jeremy, as you meet with that guy and Heather as she is reconnecting. We had our first Bible study without you guys and I'll admit, it was kind of strange. But we have some new additions to the group and Aaron, Jeff, and I taught them our uno tonight, so we'll all be ready to play in a year. : ) Is there anything you've found you need that you didn't bring? Anything I can send to you? Okay, well I'm praying for you all, tell the kids hello, and I'll talk to you later!

Anonymous said...

Hey Guys,
I've been trying to post for awhile but I can't seem to figure it out. Kaitlyn's trying to show me, so hopefully this works. Praying for you and missing you,
jeff