I have to say that today marks the 3rd anniversary of my most favorite memory of my whole life! Yes, I've been married for over 7 years so that's not it, and Kaylie is 6 and Keiric is 2. So are you wondering what could possibly be the most important memory that I have: more important than the day I was married or my 2 kids were born?
3 years ago today - May 27, 2005 - at 3 years old - Kaylie, with the incredible wisdom and faith of a child, asked Jesus to "clean her heart" - that is my greatest memory, and this is how it went:
Kaylie and I were at home alone that day (Jeremy was at work being the super-dad/husband to support us) when Kaylie found a wordless bracelet that Jeremy had made when we were sponsors with Palmcroft's high school group on their missions trip- SMI. I am sure that most of you have seen the wordless bracelett (It is a fantastic and easy evangelistic craft project) which is basically the Gospel illustrated by colored beads on a leather rope and tied around your wrist. Kaylie asked if she could wear it, and I used the opportunity to talk about the colors. I told her that it starts with the Black bead because when we are born everyone has a black heart that makes us do bad things. I told her that it made God sad because Black-hearted people are not allowed in Heaven and God wanted everyone to be able to go to Heaven. So God had to send His only Son, Jesus, down to Earth so he could live and die and clean our hearts. This was the Red bead for Christ's blood and then the White bead that signified our washed and cleaned hearts. I told her that only people with White hearts are allowed in Heaven and that the only way to get a white heart was to ask Jesus to clean it because He is the only one who can clean a black heart. Then she looked up at me and said, "Well, I need to do that. I need a white heart. Can I ask Jesus to clean it?" I was stunned. I didn't know what to say. I actually said back to her, "Why don't we wait for your daddy to come home and we can talk about it." She told me no. She said, "I need to pray - I want a white heart." So I prayed with her - tears welling up in my eyes. Then she looked up at me again and said, "Does Grandma have a white heart?" We spent the rest of the day calling everyone we knew to tell them about Kaylie's new clean heart and to ask them if they had a white heart too. All because she had to know that the people she knew and loved also had white hearts and would be going to Heaven.
That day reminds me of how simple it really is.
Black - We are born with Black hearts because of sin.
Red - Christ's Blood allows Him to clean our hearts.
White - When we ask, Christ cleans our hearts and makes them pure and white
Green - We grow, as the grass, as Christ continually renews and develops our faith
Yellow/Gold - When we die, we are promised the streets of Gold in Heaven and eternal life.
That day reminds me of how even at 3 Kaylie understood the greatness of God and wanted to be sure everyone around her also knew. Faith, like a child's, is what we are called to have.
I know that there are those of you who are skeptical; some are skeptical that there really is a God, some may just think that a three year old can't really understand. I do believe that God has given our daughter an extra dose of understanding - but don't underestimate your child's comprehension. They don't have to have a theology degree to know that God exists and that they need Him. From there - their faith grows.
That day was the highlight of my life, and yet it pressed upon me the very depth of parenting that I was responsible for. For those of you who are parents and have seen that day or are waiting for it, it is the greatest responsibility. God entrusts those little babies into your care not only to find the provisions and love they deserve, but it is OUR job to point them to their Creator, their Provider and ultimately, their Savior.
Today, I am so glad that Kaylie has the understanding that she does, and it is neat to see her faith and understanding grow. The other day we drove by the new LDS church in our neighborhood. She pointed out the window and said something about the new church. I then had to point out that not all churches are equal and that some teach things that are not true. I told her that at that church they believe that if you are good enough you get to go to Heaven. And she said to me - "But mom, no one is perfect."
Tuesday, May 27, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment