Sunday, April 13, 2008

To Train or not to Train?

Today we were blessed to hear a fantastic sermon on parenting. Our pastor pointed out, with much passion, that it is not really a question as to IF you are going to train your children - but rather WHAT you are going to train them! Whether you realize it and take advantage of it or not, your children are watching you. It was very humbling to really think through what exactly I am training my child in and how am I doing it with those little eyes upon me. Kaylie and Keiric, (the stepford children my mother calls them) are very well behaved - most of the time :) Sometimes I confuse myself and focus on good behavior as being good training. While I feel blessed that I do not worry about taking them out in public and I can be pretty sure that they will do exactly as I ask - I need to worry about training them more in what direction they should go. It is our deepest desire that our children will love the Lord and follow His will for their lives. That is our main focus - that is our end goal.

When athletes trains for an event - it consumes their entire life - affecting what they eat, drink, sleep, participate in, how they live, and make decisions. They do not have to train to "look like an athlete" or how to do an endorsement deal. They are an athlete because they decided to be and they live the life of an athlete.

I am no athlete - and well, I'm OK with that! I do see, however, a correlation to our Chistian walk. This is not a new analogy - we are called to "run the race..."

We need to train our children to BE Christian "athletes" - not just look like them! There is a bigger picture here. We need to train our kids on the fundamentals and diet that is the Christian life and these are the things that need to be exampled in our own lives. If we want Christ to be the center of our children's lives and for them to grow up "the right way", they need to see us doing it! I think perhaps, I got complacent in my parenting, seeing and hearing that, "your kids are so well behaved." But many a well behaved child has gone astray. I pray that as we continue this journey, I am reminded to effectively use the time I have to teach my children of a God bigger than all, who watches each of us where we are, and grants us all the grace we need if we ask for it. It is one of my prayers that they see this example in going to Holland.

Of course, this does not preclude good behavior :) and so you will continue to see me train and discipline my children when necessary! The chances are better that they will learn the life lessons they need if they are not running around the room screaming or throwing a temper tantrum!

No comments: