Thursday, May 28, 2009

The Skate Park

I just wanted to tell a little about an experience I had yesterday afternoon. When the weather is nice enough, I try to spend an hour or so, a couple of times a week, at the local skate park, trying to make conversations with the teenagers and witnessing to them when the opportunity arises. Today I had two conversations that I found interesting, though they were also sad.

The first was with a young man. I asked him if he ever goes to church - he said, "No." Then I asked if he believes in God - He said, "No." I asked him if he knew where he would go when he died - he said, "No." I asked him if he knew what the Bible said about it - he said, "No." And then I asked him if he would like to know what the Bible said about it, and he said..."No." I talked to him a little about it anyway, but he was not at all interested. Then I asked him if he knew anyone who believes in God, and once again he said, "No."

It is unbelievable to me, but it is very common here for people to not know even a single person who believes in God at all, let alone the God of the Bible.

The second was teen was a young woman. I didn't even have to try to make conversation: she came up and introduced herself to me. She asked where I was from and what I was doing in Holland, and we got into a discussion about her understanding of Christianity. She knew a lot of bits and pieces, but it was obvious that what she had heard was not what the Bible says but more what friends had told her or she had picked up from television. I explained the Gospel to her, and she listened, but she said she didn't want to accept Christ because, she said, every time she tries to "find God" she gets "scared" and shakes. I don't know what this means for sure, but it seems to me that Satan is trying to keep her from hearing the Truth.

She would not give me her email address, but I gave her mine and told her that she could contact me if she wanted any more information. I also told her that I would be praying for her.

Please continue to pray for these two young people as well as all of the youth in Holland. It is a very dark culture they live in, and from most appearances it is only getting worse.

No comments: