These last few days seem like we are in a whirlwind - I can still hardly believe that our year is almost over and Jeremy and the kids are headed back to the States next week! I will follow the week after so I can finish up a few things with the house and take pictures for Tyndale Seminary's graduation.
Last week we had a baptism at the lake where 3 individuals shared and showed how Christ had changed their life. It was a great experience to stand with the church as we celebrated their decision together.




Also last week my mother and sister flew in to help us pack up and get home. The kids were very excited to see Grandma and Auntie Ashlyn, and they have been a big help as we've started packing everything up, and they have also babysat many times so Jer and I can together participate in several ministries.


During the weekend we also got a chance to see a play at the European school performed by the high schoolers which was a tribute to Anne Frank and her step-sister, Eva Schloss. It was a wonderful production with live actors but also made a great use of technology with interaction from taped segments by Holocaust survivors. It was a very moving and educational evening, and I am glad that we were able to be a part of it. Eva Schloss herself was able to be there for the production and answered questions after the performance. One of the questions was whether she was able to forgive the perptrators of The Holocaust - to which she answered no and that she had no desire to, even though she has had offers of people willing to pray for her to have the ability to. Though I understand the unwillingness to consider forgiveness, it was a stark contrast to the story we heard yesterday of Corrie ten Boom, and The Hiding Place, where by God's grace and provision Corrie was able to forgive her captors.
Here's Ashlyn in The Hiding Place

Because it is the end of the year we had a BBQ for our International Cell from church. The weather cooperated beautifully (which is always in question here), and we had a great time hanging out with our group and some friends we'd invited.

Sunday and Monday were holidays here - 1st and 2nd Pentecost days - and since it's considered a bank holiday and Kim didn't have to go to work, we decided to take advantage of the weather and see some of Holland. Kim's dad also decided to come along, which was very cool since I had only met him a few times.



Muidersloot Kasteel

Keiric made a new friend!

They let you dress up in one of the rooms of the castle

Ashlyn checking out the dungeon

Tuesday morning I invited the women from the women's Bible study to come over and catch up (we hadn't seen each other since the study ended in early May), and one of the ladies generously volunteered to teach us to give Spa Pedicures. So we had the opportunity to wash each others feet, similarly to what we were studing in John when Jesus washes the disciples feet - I have to admit I was a bit skeptical at first, but in the end we all had a really good time!


Here are some more miscellaneous pictures from things we've been doing:
Kaylie at the beach with her friend Olivia

Kaylie and Olivia making dinner so we could have dinner with their family

Kim's Birthday party

Jeremy's last guitar lesson and Joran his teacher

Kaylie's last day of school, and I had a meeting with her teacher - in short, she is very smart! Apparently the kids at Kaylie's school learn an average of 2000 Dutch words a year and Kaylie scored 3000! We are so proud of her accomplishments this year. I am sure that starting 2 new schools in a new country and completely in a new language was overwhelming, but she handled it like a champ!

Out biking

Ashlyn sporting her new "European" look

Keiric loves his poffertjes (mini pancakes coated in butter and powdered sugar)

Out shopping with Miss Sonja

Keiric's all worn out
No comments:
Post a Comment