I was only helping for the last 2 days of the retreat since they already had a singer for the first 2 days, and so I took the train to where I was meeting up with my ride and we headed out. About 1 and a half hours from home, I found myself being driven up a beautiful tree-lined street to an old mansion house that had been bequeathed to a Christian organization to be a Christian retreat center; the house had been remodeled making the second and third floors into small hotel rooms and the downstairs into a cozy conference area. I was also told that the retreat participants, the regional leaders of CBSI and short term Calebs loved to sing. (Caleb = CBSI's division of retirees that go into areas all over the world for 2 to 3 weeks and pray for and build contacts within communities to begin new Bible studies. This was very good news to hear since I was hoping they would drown me out, even with the microphone. When we arrived we had a few minutes to practice again and then we started the worship session. It was wonderful. Not mechanically perfect, and I know that I hit a few 'just shy of the right note"notes (that means pitchy for all you American Idol fans), but no one seemed to care. Those people wanted to sing, and so they did - very fervently and loud. During every session you could feel the presence of the Lord as we sang together in worship. We were told later that it wasn't just singing songs, that it was worship. What a compliment! During the 2 days, I had a chance to mingle with several of the participants and hear their wisdom on how God moves, I was able to listen to 2 sessions by the speaker who gave great Biblical insights and asked some tough questions in self-evaluation and (being 20 years younger than everyone else there) I had a lot of time to myself - a luxury for a mom of a 3 year old, not to mention I've never been to a retreat before where the planned activities were over by 8:30pm!
I also got a great lesson in humility as I have a hard time accepting compliments (about anything, really, but especially in music) However, when you are told by an elderly person that you "sing like an angel" you cannot tell them to shut-up (usually my first reaction) but must politely accept the compliment. This was a great lesson for me as I received many appreciative thanks and compliments from the participants and had to silently accept the praise. Funny the ways God uses to teach you things!
Overall it was a great 2 days, and I was really blessed to be a part of if it. Thanks for your prayers. Here are some pictures from our great location.
This is the front of the house

1 comment:
Heather,
I'm so glad you didn't let your nervousness get the best of you and you kept your commitment even though it wasn't what you thought you were signing up for. I'm excited to hear that you used the beautiful signing voice God has given you to bless others and that you were also challenged in the area of accepting praise. Can't wait to see you all again in June. Enjoy your final weeks in Holland, and may God's name be exalted! Marla
Post a Comment