Monday, September 29, 2008

Teaching, Learning, Praying, and Youth-ing?

This past week I had the opportunity to co-teach the International Cell on Tuesday night. Because Chris, who usually heads things up, is having to go back to the U.S. for a few months beginning in January, he has asked me to fill in for him while he is gone. So in order to start preparing for that time, he asked me to run cell group this past Tuesday. We are starting a series on 1 Peter, so I was in charge of teaching Chapter 1 Verses 1-12. We talked about how the Gentile and Jewish believers to whom Peter was writing were going through persecution and probably struggling with the temptation to stop following God or at least to stop proclaiming their beliefs so loudly. But Peter reminds them that what they are struggling through will pass and that they will be rewarded with an incorruptible inheritance. I don't know about you, but I usually choose temporary comfort when I get the opportunity, and I tend to forget the big picture and what Christ has in store for us after this life. It was a good reminder for me.

Heather and I also started language classes last week, which is another area in which we are praying that relationships can be built. The classes are made up of people from a variety of places, including, China, Iraq, Australia, Romania, Poland, and many others, and we all the same goal: to conquer this very difficult language. Heather takes the class every Monday and Thursday morning, while I take it every Monday and Thursday evening. That way we don't have to worry about a baby sitter. It has been really good so far, and we should be fluent in a week or two :)

On Saturday morning I got the opportunity to unite with a group of people from different churches in Holland in what they call "prayer stations." Basically, it is a prayer walk around the city of Alkmaar where they get into groups of two and walk around praying and asking people if they can pray for them. They also hand out tracts and other material to give as many people as possible the opportunity to learn about the love of God. Because it was my first time, and my Dutch is not so great, they asked me to be part of the "cover prayer" team, to pray for them while they went out. While I was a little disappointed not to be "in the middle of the action" - and also disappointed that I couldn't wear one of the nifty red aprons that had a picture of praying hands and the words "bidden helpt" (or "prayer helps") on the front and the back - I did enjoy praying with one other man for the success of those who went out, and it was exciting to hear, though not really understand, them as they came back and told stories about the people they had talked to. They are a very dedicated and courageous group of people, and it was a great experience that I was honored to be a part of. Hopefully next month I'll get to don the red apron and head out into the streets.

Saturday evening I went to the Youth Cell meeting. There were a couple of kids missing, but we had a fun time playing a good old-fashioned game of Twister - I'm not nearly as flexible as I used to be! (I came in second place), a game of Spoons - not nearly as violent as I am used to from our "College and Career" matches (I came in first place, without drawing any blood), and a rapid dice game (I didn't place). Then there was a lesson, of which I understood very little, but the kids seemed to have some interesting thoughts. And finally, we had snacks and I attempted to make conversation in my horrible Dutch. It was fun, and then Heather and I invited the youth, as well as any friends they want to bring, to a game night at our house this coming Saturday. We're looking forward to continuing in developing our relationships with the youth and to assisting them as they develop their relationships with God.

2 comments:

Kaitlyn said...

Jeremy,

I don't know if you understand how hard I was laughing as I read the part about spoons. We still talk about how violent it got that one night in particular. Haha! Good times! I'm excited to hear that you are being used in so many different areas of ministry! Praying that the teaching goes well!

Anonymous said...

hey i'm really glad you are getting a chance to work with youth. maybe you'll get to see why i love it so much. or maybe you'll realize that you should minister elsewhere. lol. praying for you guys on saturday as you host the youth.