Thursday, September 4, 2008

The last few days

Friday evening we took the kids to town for a family night. The last 2 weeks of August is when a carnival comes to town, and they shut down the streets and everyone comes to ride the rides, play the games, and eat some carnival food. We mostly walked around, but the kids went on the swings, and we did ride the Ferris wheel together for a great view of the city.


During the weekend, I had the opportunity to help the missionaries here on the field in a special way that used some of my previous experience and interests: Wedding Photography and Planning!

Ariel Hays, oldest daughter of Peter and Margre, was married in the States in early August. After her honeymoon, she and her new husband came to Holland to have a reception, and I volunteered to take a few pictures for them. I was then asked if I would also help to serve food at the reception. In the end I was able to play wedding coordinator so that Peter and Margre could sit back and enjoy the party, celebrating with their family and friends, and not have to worry about the details. I was able to take family pictures before the reception started, and then coordinate the food preparation and set up the buffet and serve coffee and tea. In all of this I nly burned one dish and one of my hands! (Really - most people know not to leave me in charge of food!)

It was a wonderful experience to share with their family. I have known Ariel since she was 12, so it was neat to see her "all grown up" and married. They showed a video of the US ceremony and a picture slideshow of her growing up. They played the song, "I loved her first" which is a song that makes me think of Kaylie and the day she will eventually (a long, long, long time from now) get married. It was also great to hear a toast by her father (in English, Dutch, and French - it was very international!) which illustrated the love of his daughter as the first picture of how God loves us: Completely, Sacrificially, and Unconditionally. Everyone in that room was able to hear that God loves us like that. It was a very long, tiring day, but I was honored to be a part of it.

The next day, after church, I was also able to take some pictures at the beach for Ariel and Jon. The Holland beaches are beautiful, and it was the first time that I have been there since the last time we were in Holland. Ariel had wanted some beach pictures for her wedding album, and I think we got some great shots. I will post one when I get them edited (and find my card reader for the laptop).

It was neat to see how God uses our skills and passions to help support and minister to others. It was also great for Jeremy, who had been gone on Friday to Tyndale, to spend the time with the kids while I was "working." He took them out to the park to meet the neighbors - they love the little park down the street.Monday, Jeremy again went down to Tyndale, and Keiric and I hit the town. We prayerwalked a section of downtown, and in our walk passed 5 old church buildings. (3 Catholic, 1 Lutheran, and 1 Baptist) Most either no longer have services or have 1 Sunday service out of tradition to which not many people come. It makes me so sad to see these beautiful, large, but empty buildings - it so clearly shows that people have forgotten God, I am so glad to know He has not forgotten them!

No comments: