* We are officially registered for our language class. Jeremy and I start Dutch classes on the 22nd of September - I will go Monday and Thursday's in the morning and Jer will go on the same days but the night version. (That way one of us can watch the kids - we really miss all our babysitters!) The class teaches foreigners Dutch and we are hoping to make some more international friends. This will also make it easier for us to get around and start more conversations with people we encounter.
*We went to a parent orientation for Kaylie's school and we got a taste of what she goes through everyday - the entire meeting was in Dutch! But we found out that Kaylie is doing great - she is adjusting well, she works well independently on her school work and she plays well with the other children during play. yeah for Kaylie! yeah for De Waaier!
*We found out that Kaylie had been throwing up every day on the school bus on the way to school. We tried several different strategies to handle this - eating first, eating less, waking up earlier and when all of that failed we tried motion sickness medicine. So far the pills are working!
*After grocery shopping and coming home in the rain on my bike I caught a cold and sore throat. I tried to find some Tylenol Cold and Sinus, (or anything similar) but apparently the government strictly regulates medications. For instance, you have to ask for Aspirin from the clerk, you have to have a perscription for hydrocortisone cream, and benadryl is almost illegal. This is all very interesting when you remember that "soft" drugs are legal in the Netherlands - too bad marajuana doesn't help a sore throat! :)
*I was able to attend a prayer meeting held at the local baptist church. 8 of us, representing 3 different churches in the area (ours -nondenomintaional, the Baptist and the Pentecostal) Together we prayed for the community as a whole; the government, officials, people, minitries and evangelism efforts. It was a great opportunity to fellowship with other believers who have a passion for prayer and for reaching the community. They meet once a month and I am looking forward to attending the next meeting.
*With our friend Kim, we took the kids to a historical petting zoo. Keiric is still a little unsure about the animals - I'll post the video soon!
*The kids are really starting to like tea as everytime we have someone over they get to drink it. Of course they like "kinder thee" which is tea with milk and sugar, and they love to try all the different flavors they have here. Our favorite right now is Rooibois Cinnamon - Mmmm.
*On Sunday, Kaylie rode her bike all the way to church on her own (and she only fell once!)
*We also were able to talk to the leader of the youth group and scheduled a meeting to go over how we can help him and the group. We are looking forward to meeting the youth and hanging out with them.
*Monday, after getting Kaylie on the bus Jeremy, Keiric and I headed off to Tyndale. Though after missing the bus, quickly getting on the bikes and riding to the station to catch the next train, which was late and made us miss our connecting bus in Amsterdam and then walking to the school we were a little fed up with public transportation. However, we had a great lunch with the students. I was able to sit with the other girls and chat and find out about them and where they were from and why they were at Tyndale. After lunch, Jeremy stayed to tutor and Keiric and I headed back to the bus so we would be home in time to pick Kaylie up from the bus stop. By the time we walked to the bus stop we had just missed a bus and had to wait 30 minutes from the next. It was a beautiful spot where a canal with a fountain was next to an old church and Keiric and I sat and enjoyed the uncommonly good weather until I remembered that Jeremy had the wallet and I had no money to buy a train ticket to get home. I had no choice but to grab Keiric's hand and walk/run back to the school and find Jeremy, get the money, and run/walk back to the bus stop because if we missed the bus, we would not be there for Kay. Thankfully we just made it, but only after I got a blister from my shoes and had to run barefoot most of the way and I stepped on a slug! It was the grossest thing ever!!!
Our time is starting to fill up quickly and we are excited about the chances we are getting to know new people and reconnecting with old friends.

2 comments:
Holy cow!!! Sounds like you guys have had a busy week! Sure do miss you guys around here but it sounds like things are starting to really get busy and that means good things for ministry! It's cool that Kaylie is doing well at school and it was neat to look at the pictures of her on the school website! Tell her and Keiric hello...miss you guys and love ya!
A slug?! Eeeew! Haha! It's so exciting to hear that more doors are opening for you guys to pour into the lives of others. I look forward to hearing more about these opportunities. Enjoy the time you have with your mom coming up!
Post a Comment